Sunday 5 February 2017

Gabriel Jesus: I decided to join Man City after call from Pep Guardiola


Sometimes when you're setting up for an interview, things don't go to plan.

A security guard won't let you in, the room's too small, the manager changes training, there's a dog barking loudly right outside the window (happens quite a bit at Arsenal) or - as on this occasion - the camera's full of water because the cameraman was filming a cricket promo on the beach the day before.Days like this can be stressful and I found myself sending a text to my producer to moan.

His reply reminded me it wasn't all bad. "You might be about to interview a future world superstar," it read, basically telling me to stop whinging and get on with it.
To me that text captured the mood around Gabriel Jesus at the moment. He's only started one Premier League match, only scored one tap-in, and yet it does feel like a special footballer might have arrived on our shoes. Gabriel Jesus celebrates his debut goal in English football at West Ham
Gabriel Jesus celebrates his debut goal in English football at West Ham Ten minutes after the text, with the camera fixed and just as I was halfway through making a calming cup of tea, the young boy (footballers always look younger in their 'civvies' than they do in their kits, I think) of whom so much is expected, arrived for his interview.
He was smiley, just as he is on the pitch, happy to try a few lines in English and didn't tut when I asked if he wouldn't mind taking off the cap, with a big logo on it, that was perched on his head (there are broadcasting rules about these things).
Most importantly he talked openly about the journey which has seen him go from a Sao Paolo street football to (perhaps) the Premier League's next superstar.

No comments:

Post a Comment